|Between 6/20 and 6/28, our black slate tiles were installed and grouted, and the granite was cut and shaped. The tiling went well. The installers were amazing. All three rooms (entry, kitchen, laundry) were tiled in 1 day! Never seen tilers work so fast. They came back about 2 days later and grouted, then on the 21st to seal them. During this time, Andy built the low-voltage control center which will power some undercabinet puck lights and two circuits of Tech monorail (dining room and kitchen).|
|On 6/29, the granite was installed. The granite, 13 separate pieces, went reasonably well. The single-piece counter for the stove-top was successfully installed. Holes were drilled in the other counter for the sink et.al. The only issue: would the stove-top and downdraft clear? The downdraft sits behind the stovetop, flush with the counter, and rises up about 16" at the touch of a button. It did not look like it would; the nose of the shelf had more of an overhang than we thought. We delayed cutting the hole for the stovetop until Thursday when the granite fabricators would be there with our main contractor. Will it fit??? Will we have to recut the overhang??? Stay tuned!|
On the 30th, we had a big pow-wow with the contractor and the granite fabricators, Milo and Arnoldo. It was decided to cut the hole for the stovetop, and rough-in the stovetop and downdraft to see how far off we were. About 1/16" - might as well be infinity. We were right up against the front of the cabinet structure.
There was much worrying. Clearly, we did not want to have to have this piece recut - it would be tricky, messy, and might not look too good. After more discussion, it looked like we could shave a little off the cabinetry. It worked! Crisis averted. Everyone was happy. And it looks like we can make a table out of the piece that was in the stovetop.
Later in the day, the faucet (Bach) and support hardware were installed. We went with a counter-mounted air switch for the disposal.
Go to page.... << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >>